UGM has student exchange agreements with numerous universities worldwide. The exchange program is conducted every semester and could be carried out for one to two semesters (depend on the agreement with each partner university). In order to participate in the exchange program, students must be firstly nominated by their home university. Language of instruction at Universitas Gadjah Mada is mainly Bahasa Indonesia. In addition, there are classes taught in English under international programs that are available in a number of faculties.
August - January
February - June
Please note that you have to be nominated and complete all of the application materials before the deadline. We would like to emphasize that the deadline is strictly regulated as the process itself may takes time for five months due to the complex bureaucracy in requesting the study permits and visa process.
Here are the application materials needed to apply for student exchange program:
- Guarantor for Financial Support (document available on admission system)
- Personal Statement (document available on admission system)
- Curriculum Vitae (document available on admission system)
- Scanned copy of passport (contains personal information). The passport must be valid for at least 24 months.
- Scanned copy of passport cover
- Recommendation letter/nomination letter from home institution
- Copy of academic records and diplomas
- Copy of language certificate (one of the following)
TOEFL: 550 (paper-based);
IELTS: no less than 5.5;
iBT: minimum 70
- Good health statement from applicant’s doctor
- 4 passport size photographs
Application process is carried out through admission system.
PROCESS AND PROCEDURE
After the application is received by UGM Admission, students’ complete documents will be processed to obtain several compulsory documents to study in Indonesia which are:
- Approval letter from Faculty
- Study Permit
- Visa Authorization
Below is the general idea of the process:
Once the complete documents are received through the admission system, OIA will process them to the Faculty (based on your requested study plan) for the selection process. The selection process will be done in around one month and the result is the Approval Letter from the Faculty. As soon as we receive this approval, we will process a Letter of Offer which explains the details including the fees that student need to accomplish. After the payment is confirmed, we will issue Letter of Acceptance. Meanwhile, the process of Study Permit to the Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education and Telex Visa to Directorate General Immigration in Indonesia is conducted.
The next process is visa application. More details on visa and immigration matters can be found on this page.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: FREE MOVER
In addition to nominated students from UGM’s partner universities, other students with the following criteria are also eligible to apply for student exchange program as a ‘free mover’:
- Students from partner universities but not officially nominated by home university.
In this case, you still have to apply through your home university as a self-funded exchange student.
- Students from university which does not have an exchange agreement with UGM yet.
We welcome a limited number of exchange students from non-partner universities every semester. However, exchange students from partner universities have priority rights considering specific entry requirements, limited capacity and so on.