Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) Scholarship is a scholarship program offered for students coming from Non-Aligned Movement member countries under the cooperation of the Government of the Republic of Indonesia, Universitas Gadjah Mada, and the Non-Aligned Movement Centre for South-South Technical Cooperation.
The scholarship will offer international students a unique experience of Indonesia’s higher education institution and multicultural community. Scholarship awardees will have the opportunity to learn the Indonesian language and culture and engage with the local communities they live in. International students from NAM member countries are strongly encouraged to apply for this scholarship.
The NAM Member Countries Scholarship Program will be prioritized for the following eligible countries:
Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Timor-Leste, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, Colombia, Panama, Chile, Bolivia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela.
The scholarship program will cover the following:
- Tuition fees (As stipulated by the study program)
- Living allowance and dorm room (IDR 3,500,000 per month for living allowance and IDR 500,000 per month for research allowance)
- Bahasa Indonesia Learning package charge (including the arrival cost and Indonesian
- Entrance cost for matriculation
- Tickets for international and domestic flights (in Indonesia) for student arrivals (a round trip). Domestic transportation within the country of origin of the scholarship recipients is covered by the recipients.
- Health Insurance
- Fees for student visas and residency permits
- Book allowance (IDR 10,000,000 per year)
If the scholarship recipient decides to bring a family member(s) to Indonesia, please keep in mind that the scholarship only covers the costs of the student’s needs.
Duration of Study
The Scholarship Program will be awarded for a period of study starting from August 2023 until February 2026 (including the 6-month arrival procedure and Indonesian language course). Scholarships will be available for full-time study for the minimum period required to complete the course at the UGM.
- A citizen residing in and applying for the scholarship from the NAM member countries.
- Has never been involved in any political activities/agendas in the home country and will not be engaged in any political agendas in Indonesia during the study.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Natural Science, Medicine/Health, Geography, Agriculture, Forestry, Animal Science, Economics, Accountancy, Business, and Management.
- The bachelor’s degree should be relevant to and/or in a field related to the chosen master’s program.
- Have a Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale from a bachelor’s degree or any other documentation demonstrating the candidate’s appropriate academic qualification.
- Have an English language proficiency of at least 500 in TOEFL ITP, 60 in TOEFL iBT or 5.0 in IELTS, 95 in Duolingo English Test, or B1 in Cambridge English Test. (Applicants coming from a country with English as the first language is not obliged to provide this document).
- Ready to pursue a master’s program at UGM for the February 2024 academic year.
- Fulfill the Government of Indonesia’s qualifications for international students to enter Indonesia and all qualifications for a student visa.
- Ready to complete full-time Indonesian language training in Indonesia on August 2023, if offered a scholarship.
- Return to the home country after completing the master’s degree program in Indonesia adjusting to the duration of stay as regulated by the Bureau of Immigration of the Republic of Indonesia.
- Submit a completed application form and all of the relevant supporting documents required.
- Completed Application Form;
- Latest Curriculum Vitae;
- Colored scan of passport cover;
- Colored passport scan;
- Official passport-sized photograph;
- Academic records;
- Undergraduate Diploma;
- Essay/Motivation Letter (must include among other things: factors that influenced the decision to pursue the study program, how the study will help the candidate advance in their career, how the candidate has previously contributed to the resolution of a problem, and how the candidate intends to apply the knowledge, skills, and connections from the scholarship);
- English Proficiency Certificate;
- Research Proposal (for master’s study by research);
- Good health statements from the applicant’s doctor in English (once accepted, template provided);
- Full-dose Covid Vaccine Certificate in English (once accepted);
- Additional Statement for Visa Application (once accepted, template provided);
- Personal statement (once accepted, template provided).
Documents in languages other than English must be translated and certified by the institution that originally issued the documents in the first place.
Steps and Procedures:
- Download the scholarship application form and fill in all the information needed.
- Register online to the online portal by submitting the scholarship application form and other required documents.
- Wait for further information regarding the selection process and result.
Online application portal: